[PD] C++ for reusable dsp lib - or better use C?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Feb 22 19:53:54 CET 2012

Le 2012-02-22 à 07:58:00, Krnk Ktz a écrit :

> You could also consider not to use OOP. It has become very fashionable
> because of Java and C++, but there other paradigms working very well.

OOP is not a matter of fashion. There's a fashion aspect about it, but
that shouldn't prevent you from seeing the core principles of it. OOP is
not necessarily a paradigm either : its core concepts can be ported from
gone well beyond imperative languages. I don't consider C++/Java to be in
a different paradigm than C, because they all use the concept of storage
that gets read and written along a timeline of programme steps that have
to be run one after the other in the order specified by the programmer.

> C has been working for decades; why would you want to use it in a way it
> has not been conceived for?

Every programming language worth being calling that way is conceived to be
used in ways it has not be conceived for.

There's also a big difference between what something is made for, and what
it's good for.

Note that C is extremely often used for constructing interpreters for
languages that are especially good at things that C isn't good at.

The activity of programming doesn't fit in narrow boxes of Paradigms and
of Intended Purposes.