[PD] [PD-announce] pdlua and tclpd: now embedded in Pd-extended 0.43

João Pais jmmmpais at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 27 12:54:23 CET 2012

I'm thinking about using lua to build an interpreter for my Click Tracker
(http://code.google.com/p/clicktracker/), so it's great that this is
working. Can you recomend any good lua tutorial? That would be a good
resource to have in the documentation, I guess (same goes for a tcl
tutorial).

> There are two new, easy ways to write objects for Pd: tclpd by Federico
> Ferri and pdlua by Claude Heiland-Allen, Frank Barknecht and Martin
> Peach.  Both are now included in Pd-extended 0.43 and are automatically
> loaded at startup.  That means you can write a script in Lua or Tcl and
> have that script be a true object in Pd.  Both pdlua and tclpd provide
> the large majority of the Pd externals API, and you can even write GUI
> objects using tclpd.
>
> Tcl and Lua both excel at handling strings, one thing that Pd is not the
> best at, so if you have a project that needs to parse or manage a lot of
> strings, then you have a new approach.
>
> There are some other ways of using other languages to write objects for
> Pd: pyext for Python and pdj for Java.  These two are different in a key
> way than pdlua and tclpd.  pyext and pdj allow you to load scripts into
> an object called [pyext] or [pdj].   tclpd and pdlua let you create full
> Pd objects that are completely transparent to the user.  You create an
> object written in tclpd or pdlua just like any other Pd object, and
> those objects can have their own help patch too.
>
> Both pdlua and tclpd come with a lot of examples, go to the Help Browser
> and find them in the list of libraries there.  I also started writing
> the 'tclfile' library to bring the Tcl file API to Pd:
>
> http://puredata.info/downloads/tclfile
>
> .hc

Friedenstr. 58
10249 Berlin (Deutschland)
Tel +49 30 42020091 | Mob +49 162 6843570
Studio +49 30 69509190
jmmmpais at googlemail.com | skype: jmmmpjmmmp