[PD] Mac OS X/PowerPC builds needed

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Feb 27 16:20:27 CET 2012

I'm sure people who have PPC equipment still use it ;-)  As for 10.7, the builds on 10.5 and 10.6 should work fine on 10.7, so there isn't much of a need for a 10.7 build server.  Mark Grimm has been working out the build kinks on 10.7, I'm sure he'd like some company in that misery.

As for me, 10.6 will be the last version of Mac OS X I use.  I don't like iOS especially for my laptop, and Apple seems to be planning the end of Mac OS X, and is replacing it chunk by chunk with iOS.  I've been using NeXTSTEP since 1994, and Mac OS X is really just the continuation of NeXTSTEP.  More and more, the continuation of the ideas that make NeXTSTEP so great are happening outside of Apple, with projects like Étoilé http://etoileos.com/ and GNUstep.

One idea in Étoilé that blew me away with its awesomeness and inevitability was the idea of the OS providing the core frameworks for all document types, and that core framework keeps all revisions of the document permanently.  Its time for File->Save to go away, disk space is cheap, the every app should save documents with the entire history of how they were created.

Apple, on the other hand, seems to be focused on people who want to have their nice big corporation do their thinking for them.  So they are working hard to lock their users out of their own systems, forcing all applications to go through their review process, and other such things.  NeXTSTEP always focused on making the power of the computer as available and easy to use as possible.  Apple still do a lot of things much better than anyone else, but that is just too high a cost to pay.

.hc

On Feb 26, 2012, at 9:56 PM, Rich E wrote:

> Does anyone use Power PC for audio work anymore?  Also, is there a 10.7 machine? The latter seems more in demand.
>
> cheers,
> Rich
>
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>
> So the Mac OS X PowerPC machine from the build farm has died.  The hard drive is intact, so all the data is there.  I also have much more limited time for maintaining the PdLab machines.  So I'm looking for someone to host the Mac OS X PowerPC builds.  It can be really any recent PowerPC Mac.  The old machine was a 300MHz G4.
>
> Can anyone take this on?  I'd hate to see Mac OS X/PowerPC dropped from the supported platforms since they are still quite capable machines.
>
> .hc

I hate it when they say, "He gave his life for his country."  Nobody gives their life for anything.  We steal the lives of these kids.  -Admiral Gene LeRocque