[PD] Mac OS X/PowerPC builds needed

m.e.grimm megrimm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 17:05:49 CET 2012

>  the build
> kinks on 10.7, I'm sure he'd like some company in that misery.

in fink, out of hans's pd-extended-dev script, on 10.7, the only thing
not building is:

gmerlin

here is the error from the termilal:

http://pastebin.com/w6L9LMPm

if anyone wants to help?

a 10.7 build system would be nice yes.

> builds on 10.5 and 10.6 should work fine on 10.7, so there isn't much of a
> need for a 10.7 build server.

might ease 64 bit builds on osx? since at least for my fink install
all the libs are compiled 64 bit...

> iOS especially for my laptop, and Apple seems to be planning the end of Mac
> OS X, and is replacing it chunk by chunk with iOS.

what they did with my beloved FCP (X?) really sucked... whats left?
premiere? kdenlive? they are looking to imovie-atize everything. dont
make. consume.

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:

> I'm sure people who have PPC equipment still use it ;-)  As for 10.7, the
> builds on 10.5 and 10.6 should work fine on 10.7, so there isn't much of a
> need for a 10.7 build server.  Mark Grimm has been working out the build
> kinks on 10.7, I'm sure he'd like some company in that misery.
>
> As for me, 10.6 will be the last version of Mac OS X I use.  I don't like
> iOS especially for my laptop, and Apple seems to be planning the end of Mac
> OS X, and is replacing it chunk by chunk with iOS.  I've been using NeXTSTEP
> since 1994, and Mac OS X is really just the continuation of NeXTSTEP.  More
> and more, the continuation of the ideas that make NeXTSTEP so great are
> happening outside of Apple, with projects like Étoilé http://etoileos.com/
> and GNUstep.
>
> One idea in Étoilé that blew me away with its awesomeness and inevitability
> was the idea of the OS providing the core frameworks for all document types,
> and that core framework keeps all revisions of the document permanently.
>  Its time for File->Save to go away, disk space is cheap, the every app
> should save documents with the entire history of how they were created.
>
> Apple, on the other hand, seems to be focused on people who want to have
> their nice big corporation do their thinking for them.  So they are working
> hard to lock their users out of their own systems, forcing all applications
> to go through their review process, and other such things.  NeXTSTEP always
> focused on making the power of the computer as available and easy to use as
> possible.  Apple still do a lot of things much better than anyone else, but
> that is just too high a cost to pay.
>
> .hc
>
> On Feb 26, 2012, at 9:56 PM, Rich E wrote:
>
> Does anyone use Power PC for audio work anymore?  Also, is there a 10.7
> machine? The latter seems more in demand.
>
> cheers,
> Rich
>
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>
> wrote:
>>

>> So the Mac OS X PowerPC machine from the build farm has died.  The hard
>> drive is intact, so all the data is there.  I also have much more limited
>> time for maintaining the PdLab machines.  So I'm looking for someone to host
>> the Mac OS X PowerPC builds.  It can be really any recent PowerPC Mac.  The
>> old machine was a 300MHz G4.
>>
>> Can anyone take this on?  I'd hate to see Mac OS X/PowerPC dropped from
>> the supported platforms since they are still quite capable machines.
>>
>> .hc

m.e.grimm | m.f.a | ed.m.
megrimm at gmail.com