[PD] [OT] Music Notation in linux

Funs Seelen funsseelen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 11:18:51 CET 2012

Hi Andrew,

I use Lilypond very often and I think it's a great tool for music notation.
It contains the possibility to notate ancient and non-western music as
well. It's easy to write reusable templates for different styles of music.
The main disadvantage (compared to f.e. Sibelius) is that due to compile
time changes of a single note take a lot of time to be visible, especially
when also rendering a midi-file. I think that learning the language is not
harder than learning to use a GUI-tool. BTW templates/examples are
available online. "Lilypond notation reference" (
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/index) will be
your friend.

--Funs