[PD] save search path 0.43 OSX

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 3 23:49:34 CET 2012

----- Original Message -----

I think I have a different solution which doesn't need an "echo" method for canvases.

To send globally to _this_ abstraction, just concatenate the directory it lives in with
the filename.

To send to all instances on the parent canvas, just send to the above prefixed with
the parent $0.

To send to all instances anywhere up to the toplevel, just send to toplevel $0 plus
dir plus filename.

However, if you are in the parent patch and you want to send to all the abstractions
that are children of the parent patch (non-locally), pd-foo/bar.pd seems like the only
way to do that.

> I mean that the canvas-object used to make an abstraction-object is not the same
> as the abstraction-object itself. The canvas-object does not directly handle
> stuff that is implemented in pd, and its receive-symbols are really about
> canvas-responsibilities.
>
> So if an abstraction pretends to be a canvas using [receive] in an attempt to
> extend the list of methods that the object supports, then every message not
> meant for the canvas will cause « canvas: no such method ».

Right, that's what the "echo" method is about.

> An abstraction-object's canvas object, even though it represents the object
> itself, usually shouldn't be talked to directly from outside, as the
> abstraction-class is what is supposed to know whether and how 'vis',
> 'coords', etc., should be used.

My alternative method outlined above avoids this.