[PD] [OT] Fabric Engine

Ilya Dmitrichenko errordeveloper at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 23:13:44 CET 2012

Hi Guys,

I have just discovered Fabric Engine a couple of days ago and had been
reading on since then, it turns out to be taking pretty amazing
approach to hyterogenous computing problem (i.e. simplifying multicore
cpu+gpu programming) in a high-level fashion. Please watch this video
for some detailed explanation _first_:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWjJE-6Ln24
Well, you currently have to got through quick sign-up procedure to get
access details for Node.js or Python module, however I had been told
by the guys that they are switching to AGPL license upon product
launch next week! So don't get bullshit on me for pointing at a
closed-source technology.
The main site (fabric-engine.com) has browser-based demos and some
details (the docs aren't currently public yet, but can be found here:
http://documentation.testing.fabric-engine.com/latest/).

> What does this have to do with PD?
I'm glad you asked! Basically FE appears to be internally dataflow
paradigm which basically uses LLVM to split out and compile
multithreaded code for CPU and GPU (using OpenCL) from it's own Kernel
Language (KL) which is strongly typed kind-of-JavaScript. Have a look
for yourself, but it seems to me that there is definitely a number of
people on this list who would pick up on this!

Cheers,
--
Ilya