[PD] Web Netiquette Re: Making Musical Apps: a book about libpd

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 15:15:14 CET 2012

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 10:42, Julian Brooks <jbeezez at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just sent this to the eightycolumn list.  I'm not going to even read any
> of the messages from the original post.  I'm Sorry, ok.
>

> Oh dear...
>

> "I am guessing you are pointing to the fact that libpd encourages the
> production of proprietary software and their distribution on closed apps
> markets?"
>

> Yes absolutely, plus the whole
> iThing-planetary-destruction-not-really-what-I-thought-'we'-are
> working-towards-type-stuff (idealistic idiot that I am).
>
> Also seems like such a clear distinction between OSSvsFSF/FLOSS stuff.
> Yes I can see that on one side what's wrong with libpd sucking the core out
> of Pd and doing what they want, that's what the license/gift allows people
> to do.  Then after that I guess it's also okay for the author to get on the
> pd-list with a 'buy my book' schtick (plus then a large cue of people
> saying how happy they are to get their amazon order in now; kindle version
> yours for £10, ebook an extra 2.50 even if you've bought the book - grrr),
> can you see where this is going?
>
> So yes, then some guy from the publisher posting a link to an online
> review and 'hey pd's kewl man' tipped me over the edge.
>
> Yes it's dumb
> Yes I'm going to spend the rest of the day cringing and apologising
> Yes I've recently stopped smoking and am somewhat psychotic.

I know what you are talking about.
I really underestimated the power of the dark side until I stopped
cigarettes (cca a year ago). Typically, I had lost my patience towards a
number of things and demonstrated unacceptable behaviour on a daily basis
for a few weeks until it got better (but my body thanked for it from the
fist day on). Plus at the end you'll mood will be more balanced than it
used to be with the cigarettes. Forza, coraggio! :o)

I can see your point concerning O'reilly and even with libpd but I'm
convinced the threat is far from the need
of four-letter words. Pd's editing and programming features shall stay open
and continue to support the less professional and then all will be good.

András