[PD] why does PD round numbers? (in tables, in messageboxes, etc)

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 15:45:15 CEST 2012

2012/4/10 IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>:
> On 04/10/12 10:33, katja wrote:

> i was talking about pd/pd-gui communication (and keep the number format for
> both saving and pd/gui communication the same).
> when displaying/updating a table every single number is converted to text
> using printf, send over the wire and then converted back to a number for
> drawing the table.
> it makes a difference if you have to transmit 44100
> *4 bytes or 44100*12 bytes.

Ah I see. It is not uncommon to display complete audio files, much
more than 44100 samples. So all these samples are converted to text
and back to numbers, as they go over the network? (While in the end,
only a couple hundred values are displayed). And every character goes
through the loop in binbuf_text() with all it's cases... well that is
a bottleneck which should not be further aggravated. At least this
performance issue can be quickly tested, using Pd vs Pd-double. I'll
make a test patch for that.

Katja