[PD] Feedback on PD-ext 0.43.1

Raphael Raccuia rafael.raccuia at blindekinder.com
Wed Apr 11 10:44:05 CEST 2012

Hi,
I use pd (ext) since several years, and first of all, congratulation and
thanks for this great project!
Here are some bugs and problems I experienced. I run PD on Ubuntu
Oneiric, and also tried it on another computer on Maverick...
These bugs are present in the download from april 11th.

    * the text around vu-meters is covered by them. (I run pd in french,
      maybe it has something to do: 'entrées' 'sorties' (in, out) ).
    * Settings save: I understand now why it isn't possible to save
      paths/libs anymore, but I also cannot save other settings, like
      edit modes, or verbose level...
    * On Maverick, déjà-vu sans mono is not found, but installed on the
      system...
    * There is a bug with [knob] Gui object: when editing preferences,
      and then apply or 'ok', nothing happens and pref windows is
      stuck... Have to close pd and reopen, then the changes are
      effective. Here is the log:

(Tcl) ERREUR NON GÉRÉE : expected integer but got "Sans"
     (processing "-font" option)
     invoked from within
".x9ae7ae0.c itemconfigure 9ae1a48LABEL -font {DejaVu Sans Mono 8 bold}
-fill #000000 -text {} "
     ("uplevel" body line 1)
     invoked from within
"uplevel #0 $cmds_from_pd"(Tcl) ERREUR NON GÉRÉE : expected integer but
got "Sans"
     (processing "-font" option)
     invoked from within
".x9ae7ae0.c itemconfigure 9ae1a48LABEL -font {DejaVu Sans Mono 8 bold}
-fill #000000 -text {} "
     ("uplevel" body line 1)
     invoked from within
"uplevel #0 $cmds_from_pd"

    * Then, there is a big point, that have been already discussed many
      times: autoconnect sound/midi in jack should really be disabled,
      or made it possible to choose. Midi autoconnects with all clients,
      and we have to 'disconnect all' before patching as desired. Same
      with sound: sometimes, I use pd to make sound in a basic way, and
      just output on channels 1 - 2, but most of the time, I use it as a
      plugin, or inserted between several other jack-applications, with
      particular jack patches. The patchbay from qjackctl save my
      desired connection, and I should only start my apps and let the
      connections make themselves. The patch is the power of jack, and
      autoconnect goes against this philosophy. Also, maybe one day pd
      will be compatible with ladish/jack-session (the future of jack!).
    * Of course, I didn't tested everything, but most of my old patches
      seems to work on 0.43.1...

hope this will be helpful...