[PD] state of memento.

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Apr 17 15:49:48 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 01:08:50PM +0000, David Schaffer wrote:
> I would like to know if the memento state saving system is still supported in
> pd-extended under windows XP. I was using 0.42.5 and had to downgrade to
> 0.40.3 to be able to recall my presets. In other, more recent versions, the
> recall process would crash pd instantly. It is frustrating to have to use old
> versions of pd when so many great people work hard on new releases.

While I don't know about the state of Pd-extended, crashes when using Memento
almost always are related to one of the few externals used, namely [pool] and
sometimes [prepend]. I think I have replaced all occurences of [prepend] in all
Memento/RRADical patches with an abstraction prepent.pd (sic!), so this should
not crash anymore, but check on your system to make sure.

Which leaves [pool] as a common reason for crashes. I don't know why it
crashes. In my experience, people have been able to solve it with a
recompilation of pool and flext for their Pd version. I guess it should be
possible to compile for the latest Pd/Pd-X, too, but it's probably something
you have to do on your own.

I would suggest to base future preset handling on the [sssad] abstraction. It's
also usually not shipped by the Pd-extended maintainer (maybe it is in the
latest version, I didn't check), but because it's a single Pd vanilla
abstraction, it is very easy to use just everywhere.

Ciao
--
 Frank Barknecht            Do You RjDj.me?          _ ______footils.org__