[PD] settable receive again (was: ipoke~ ?)

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 8 00:43:35 CEST 2012

----- Original Message -----

I've posted about it before.  Just imagine [s] inside abstraction [foo] and
[r] inside abstraction [bar].  I want to type [foo blah] and have my abstraction
set the inner [s] symbol to [parent-$0]-blah.  Easy enough. Similarly, I want
[bar blah] to set its inner [r] symbol to [parent-$0]-blah.  Roadblock.

The scope stuff is more involved than that, but that's enough of an example to
demonstrate a use case for a dynamically settable [receive].

>>    There, not having a
>>  settable receive leads to hacky solutions like dynamic-patching or
>>  feeding a message-box with a semicolon, the receive-symbol, and
>>  the message (which also requires a hack to get "list foo" to
> remain
>>  "list foo" when it comes out).  Both of those solutions are
> obscure and
>>  way more error-prone than simply sending a symbol to an inlet.
>
> Sure, I wasn't advocating to substitute a settable receive by some
> dynamic patching hack. I just happened not to be able to think of a case
> that absolutely needs a settable receive (and am sorry for not yet
> understanding the one you provided above).
>
>>  And the historical replies to a user wanting a settable receive of
> "why do
>>  you want to do that" are misleading, because the real question was
>>  "why do you want to do that when there's a long-standing bug--
> even in
>>  all the iemguis-- that may cause a crash by doing that?"
>
> There never was a bug in [r ], afaik.

There's a bug in [iem_r] and all the other alternatives to [r] that tried to
add that functionality, plus the iemguis which are internal objects.

> I didn't know about the fact, that
> adding an inlet to [r] would imply implementing a bug before it was
> mentioned in this thread and I always thought, that for conceptual
> reasons it was never implemented. And for some reason I haven't missed
> it in all those years of Pd patching.

What are the conceptual reasons?

-Jonathan