[PD] settable receive again (was: ipoke~ ?)

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 10:48:41 CEST 2012

On Wed, 2012-06-06 at 08:56 -0700, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> [...]

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't understand. Can you elaborate this?

>   There, not having a
> settable receive leads to hacky solutions like dynamic-patching or
> feeding a message-box with a semicolon, the receive-symbol, and
> the message (which also requires a hack to get "list foo" to remain
> "list foo" when it comes out).  Both of those solutions are obscure and
> way more error-prone than simply sending a symbol to an inlet.

Sure, I wasn't advocating to substitute a settable receive by some
dynamic patching hack. I just happened not to be able to think of a case
that absolutely needs a settable receive (and am sorry for not yet
understanding the one you provided above).

> And the historical replies to a user wanting a settable receive of "why do
> you want to do that" are misleading, because the real question was
> "why do you want to do that when there's a long-standing bug-- even in
> all the iemguis-- that may cause a crash by doing that?"

There never was a bug in [r ], afaik. I didn't know about the fact, that
adding an inlet to [r] would imply implementing a bug before it was
mentioned in this thread and I always thought, that for conceptual
reasons it was never implemented. And for some reason I haven't missed
it in all those years of Pd patching.

> Anyway, Ivica apparently has fixed the issue.

That's good.

Roman