[PD] ipoke~ ?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 6 17:56:47 CEST 2012

----- Original Message -----

Whether or not the user who started the settable [receive] thread really
needed a settable receive, there are situations where it's needed, like
wrapping s/r in abstractions so that I don't have to prepend a $0- which,
in 95% of cases is what I want, and using a 2nd arg for setting scope for
the other 5% of situations.  There, not having a
settable receive leads to hacky solutions like dynamic-patching or
feeding a message-box with a semicolon, the receive-symbol, and
the message (which also requires a hack to get "list foo" to remain
"list foo" when it comes out).  Both of those solutions are obscure and
way more error-prone than simply sending a symbol to an inlet.

And the historical replies to a user wanting a settable receive of "why do
you want to do that" are misleading, because the real question was
"why do you want to do that when there's a long-standing bug-- even in
all the iemguis-- that may cause a crash by doing that?"

Anyway, Ivica apparently has fixed the issue.

-Jonathan