[PD] settable receive again

Matt Barber brbrofsvl at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 18:50:10 CEST 2012

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 6:10 AM,  <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> Quoting Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com>:
>>>
>>> [s parent-$0-$1]
>>> [r parent-$0-$1]
>>

>> That probably wasn't clear.  I don't want [symbol parent-$0-$1]; inside my
>> abstractions I want the parent $0 prefixed to $1 as the symbol.  In other
>> words, my abstractions make it so that I don't have to type "$0-" in every
>> s/r pair where I want canvas locality which as I said is most of the cases
>> by far.  (My abstractions do other stuff which I wrote about in the
>> nonlocal
>> scope thread, but that isn't important to this discussion.)
>

> are you talking about canvas-locality (something Pd has no constructs for),
> patch-locality ($0), or hierarchical locality (something like [block~] does,
> and which many text-based languages do, e.g. {int foo; if(2>1){float foo; /*
> ... */ } }
>
> also, do you want to be able to build abstractions that have the same
> property?

One other thing I'm not clear on - is the point to have a convenient
way to ensure locality at patch init, or do you want settable receive
while the patch is running? The latter would provide the former,
obviously, but I wonder if the latter is actually germane to the
original complaint. (The latter would also be in most ways
conceptually the same as dynamic patching connections while the patch
is running...)

Matt