[PD] dynamic patching woes...

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Fri Jun 22 19:48:31 CEST 2012

hi *!

i've played around with dynamic patching to create readanyfs~-based
players with variable number of channels, and i must say i'm not too
happy with what i saw...
in your experience, is dynamic patching a suitable approach outside of
crash'n'burn live coding?

it's almost manageable when working on a fresh canvas, but in order to
add outlets depending on a creation parameter, i found it necessary to
dynpatch a quite large abstraction (my object count offset is close to
200...). not fun. is there a less invasive way to get a dynamic number
of outlets and separate the dynpatching from the main patch?

also, i find that when i use my dynamically patched abstraction with
those shine variable output ports, pd is unable to recreate the
connections from those outlets to the dac~ object - i guess it's a race
condition where it tries to connect before the objects have completed
their startup. is there a workaround or alternative approach for this?

last thing i was wondering: is it possible to use dynpatching to create
a patch and then save that for later use? i think i saw someone mention
this (frank b.?), but i can't seem to find the thread just now...
pointers to examples would be most welcome.

thanks,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net