[PD] PD, sound, and differential/integral calculus

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Mon Jun 25 09:12:44 CEST 2012

If it's sound you're interested in then it is tempting to
suggest either Stefan Bilbao, because he gives
lots of problems and exercises, or to look at Dave Benson who
tackles unusual and interesting topics.

However, if you really want to flex your school calculus
muscles and use Pd as a platform to show that off,
it may be better to pick a control engineering problem,
say adaptive proportional servos, and solve it in the
message domain. Get lots of neat graphs easily using
[textfile] to push and dump data.

The problem with more complicated audio DSP problems from
the standard problem set (filters, physmo etc) is that
the fine discretisation required isn't something
Pure Data makes easy (as it's already optimised a
certain patching style so that feedback and audio block
size may give a few headaches), and if you're working
with continuous calculus problems you might get a few
surprises going to the discrete/digital realm at
audio rate the first time.

cheers,
Andy