[PD] PD, sound, and differential/integral calculus

Charles Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 14:55:56 CEST 2012

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 9:15 PM, Eric Mazza <mazzarotti at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm in a summer calculus two course, and we are required to do a research
> project of our choosing as long as it includes the topics we have learned so
> far.  I want to explore the relationship between this science and sound more
> closely, and decided to use Puredata as a medium.
>
> What are some areas in sound design/composition that involve calculus?  Or
> topics that approach sound from a calculus standpoint?
>
> Thanks,
>
> maz

You can code up any numerical integrator or differentiator with
fexpr~.  That's a straightforward textbook problem that you can use to
make a good demo.

Differential equations are the jumping off point for *everything* to
do with oscillators, filters, resonances, up to Fourier analysis.

Like Andy mentioned--you can't simply code up the
differentiators/integrators into blocks and then string them together
to use feedback.  Any differential equation simulation with feedback
needs to take place in a single object.

Chuck