[PD] 3D Look at

pvallet publicat51 at free.fr
Thu Jun 28 14:46:16 CEST 2012

I apologize, i should have "replied to list"...

Not very sure, but according to my fuzzy memory, one advantage of
quaternions is that you can compose many rotations by simply multiplying
quaternions together, which is quicker than building matrices for each
transform, and compute a final transform matrix (which can express also
translations and scalings) only at the end. I don't recall the details
there so you'll have to check the exact math.
i see here (wikipedia) something like

A quaternion q(x,y,z,w) can be expressed as a 3x3 rotation matrix
      | 1-2(y*y)-2(z*z)   2xy-2zw             2xz+2yw          |
q=|  2xy+2zw           1-2(x*x)-2(z*z)   2yz-2xw           |
      |  2xz-2yw             2yz+2xw           1-2(x*x)-2(y*y) |

which you an then matrix multiply with the other transforms to get the
final result.

So in PD you might want to use a matrix to express the whole transform
rather than
just  [rotateXYZ].  I don't know if you find this in gem, but it should
be there.

hope this helps,
Pierre.