[PD] pix_film + incrementing frame number = blurring

Olivier Heinry olivier.heinry at free.fr
Tue Jul 3 00:14:02 CEST 2012

Le 02/07/2012 23:19, Iain Mott a écrit :
> Forgot to mention i'm using Ubuntu 11.10 and the video files are 30 fps
> with the codec H.264 / AVC
What are your encoding settings? I always use a GOP size of 1 with h264,
otherwise you might encounter temporal interpolation artefacts at
playtime. Have a look at the Blender 3D snapshot at the bottom of
http://fr.flossmanuals.net/performance-audiovisuelle-et-pratique-du-vjing/ch006_bases-de-limage-numerique

There is also a very nice H264 encoder called h264enc which might help you
http://h264enc.sourceforge.net/

If you'd rather use a gui, try
http://ekd.tuxfamily.org/index.php/Accueil/AccueilEnglish

Here are a command line which has proven useful:

  ffmpeg -an -y -i DSCN0716.MOV -r 25 -s 960x540 -f avi -vcodec libx264 -b:v 50000k -g 1 -keyint_min 25 -sc_threshold 40 -i_qfactor 0.71 -b_strategy 1 /bigfiles/DSCN0176.mp4

key parameter is the -g option , set it to one so to have a keyframe
every frame, hence no interpolation at all. If you're rether the
datamosh guy, just set very very high ;-) such as this one courtesy BenJah :

ffmpeg -i input_video.mov -g 250 -sc_threshold 1000000000 -vcodec libxvid output_video.mp4

All these are compiled on the French-speaking Labomédia wiki:

http://wiki.labomedia.org/index.php/Le_DataMoshing

> Also, while sending an "auto 1" message to pix_film gives smooth
> playback, the file plays perhaps 30% slow. This doesn't seem to be a CPU
> issue as the cpu is running between 20 and 30% while playing the file.

Auto 1 doesnt always detect the right framerate as I have experienced.
Pix_movie is more reliable.

Cheers

OH

olivier at heinry.fr