[PD] running Pd with a timer for an installation?

tim vets timvets at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 12:44:04 CEST 2012

2012/7/9 Richie Cyngler <glitchpop at gmail.com>

> Hi All,
>
> I'm planning on using Pd for an installation in Melbourne in a couple of
> weeks. It's running fine, Pduino working, sensors working. I'm just
> wondering is there is a object (or series) of objects I can use to "power
> down" the patch, or even kill Pd, at a designated time. The installation
> will run into the night for a week, I'll be there to start it up each night
> but not to shut it down. I'm probably running on OSX, windows may be an
> option. A sleep or shutdown timer for the OS would be very useful too,
> seems odd these are not standard.

What I sometimes do is (using a desktop computer):
Set the computer's BIOS power setting to 'always on' so that the computer
starts up as soon as it gets power.
Then set up the necessary startup scripts to start your patch automatically
when the computer is switched on.
Use a simple household timer to switch the power of the computer on and off.
(this may be a bad idea when there is a risk that your patch is writing to
disk heavily while the computer gets switched off...
I never used this with patches that need to write to disk)

Any suggestions?