[PD] midi latency pd -> alsa / jackd

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 08:43:01 CEST 2012

On 15/07/12 04:26, Rob Bothof wrote:

> Hi Tim, thank you for the shared blues on midi timing ;)
> what i find strange is that i do not use jack for midi, i disabled alsa
> sequencer in jackd
> so midi should go directly to pd.
>
> only thing i change is the audio card from alsa to jack...i don't see how this
> would influence the midi, but it does..

as I understand it jack MIDI is much better than alsa MIDI as far as timing,
jitter and latency goes, so if you are wanting to use MIDI this way you are
probably better off using jack MIDI. Its on my TODO list to look into it more,
someone else could explain in more detail.

If I am correct then jack MIDI is synced to the jack audio timing, while the
jitter and so forth in alsa MIDI is something of a hangover from the
hardware/serial port history of MIDI.

Simon