[PD] midi latency pd -> alsa / jackd

Rob Bothof rbothof at xs4all.nl
Mon Jul 16 20:07:49 CEST 2012

On 7/15/2012 8:43 AM, Simon Wise wrote:
> On 15/07/12 04:26, Rob Bothof wrote:
>
>> Hi Tim, thank you for the shared blues on midi timing ;)
>> what i find strange is that i do not use jack for midi, i disabled alsa
>> sequencer in jackd
>> so midi should go directly to pd.
>>
>> only thing i change is the audio card from alsa to jack...i don't see
>> how this
>> would influence the midi, but it does..
>
> as I understand it jack MIDI is much better than alsa MIDI as far as
> timing, jitter and latency goes, so if you are wanting to use MIDI
> this way you are probably better off using jack MIDI. Its on my TODO
> list to look into it more, someone else could explain in more detail.
>
> If I am correct then jack MIDI is synced to the jack audio timing,
> while the jitter and so forth in alsa MIDI is something of a hangover
> from the hardware/serial port history of MIDI.
>

> Simon

thanx, I thought jack midi was only used by soundcards with midi
support, like some firewire cards for example..?
but I have solved this for now by using the commandline pd -midiindev 2,
routing the raw /dev/midi device device to pd,
now it works regarless of the sound, though the default-midi never shows
any devices for me...the commandline still works!
would be nice if there was a way to route /dev/midi directly to a
jackmidi port...
i'm gonna check out some of the jack examples for simpleclients..

best,
Rob