[PD] midi latency pd -> alsa / jackd

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 05:04:14 CEST 2012

On 17/07/12 02:07, Rob Bothof wrote:
> On 7/15/2012 8:43 AM, Simon Wise wrote:

>> as I understand it jack MIDI is much better than alsa MIDI as far as timing,
>> jitter and latency goes, so if you are wanting to use MIDI this way you are
>> probably better off using jack MIDI. Its on my TODO list to look into it more,
>> someone else could explain in more detail.
>>
>> If I am correct then jack MIDI is synced to the jack audio timing, while the
>> jitter and so forth in alsa MIDI is something of a hangover from the
>> hardware/serial port history of MIDI.
>>

>> Simon
>>
> thanx, I thought jack midi was only used by soundcards with midi support, like
> some firewire cards for example..?

... and several midi applications ... and you can bridge the two different
systems if you need to pass midi on to an app that does not support jack-midi.

I am not sure how reasonable it would be for your usb connection to use
jack-midi rather than alsa-midi (perhaps jack-midi is mainly for midi between
applications rather than with hardware?), but it would be worth looking into as
it would help with the timing issues you have, especially as you say you are
trying to use midi much faster than the original protocol allowed for ... which
is obviously much more possible over usb than serial.

Simon