[PD] higher resolution screen capture

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 16:58:10 CEST 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Hans Roels <hans.roels at base.be> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need pictures of > 300 dpi of a Pd patch to publish them in an article.
> I generated postscript files with 'print' in the menu but the copy editor
> wants a better quality. I also enlarged the fonts of the patch and then
> generated a postscript file but it still isn't good enough. I used screen
> capture software on windows and linux but with the same -not good enough-
> result.
> Has anyone any tips to solve this issue? Maybe someone that has experience
> with printing Pd patches in books or articles... (for example I notice that
> in Miller his book the diagonal lines connecting the objects are really
> diagonal, not in steps...).
>
> I need a quick answer and solution for the editor before tomorrow/friday
> evening! Thanks for any advice...
>
> best,
> Hans r

Hi Hans,

The postscript files that Pd generates for me (here on Linux at least) are
vector-graphic, which means they have a so-to-say "infinite resolution":
one can zoom into them endlessly and shapes will still be perfect and
pixel-free. (see attached screenshot of pd-window in the foreground and
zoomed postscript in the background)
I suggest that you check that this applies to your postscript files as well
(take a look into them with Document Viewer in Gnome or Ghostscript on
Windows) and is they prove to be vector-graphic, you can simply tell the
editor not to worry and go ahead using them.
(Of course, if someone opens a postscript file with the wrong program, it
can look pixelated when it is actually not.)

András