[PD] Sample Player: readsf~ vs. soundfiler/array/tabread

Korin Wong-Horiuchi kowongh at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 14:35:22 CEST 2012

Hello list,

I am wondering what you all think is a more efficient sampler with all
built in Vanilla PD objects. I know each object has its own specialties for
different uses...

Would you rather readsf~ to dynamically load in a file on disk and then
play it
OR
use a table, soundfiler, and tabplay combination to load the sound into a
table and then play it like in the documentation.

I have done some research in the archives and it seems that readsf~ has
clicks and yes I have encountered this and I cannot seem to get around
it. Whereas the array, soundfiler, tabplay approach takes up a lot of
memory if I am going to be loading a lot of samples.

Right now I have come to the conclusion that I need to load the samples
into memory with the soundfiler/array/tabread combination for low latency
purposes. And for streaming it would be better to just use readsf~.

If I have 10 sample players, but only need 8 note polyphony what would be
the best way to use the 8 tables more efficiently? Am I right in concluding
that using 8 soundfilers, arrays, tabplays is the most efficient way to
create a 10 sound sample player? Will the reading of the file be fast
enough that you will hear no apparent difference between the sounds already
loaded into memory and the ones that need to be loaded and played at once?

I was wondering if anyone has come up with a good low latency way to read
in soundfiles with readsf without consuming too much memory in 2012! I am
very curious to see what the list thinks!