[PD] Pd Vanilla on Raspberry Pi

Charles Goyard cg at fsck.fr
Sat Aug 11 14:15:42 CEST 2012

Hi,

Pierre Massat wrote:
> One thing I would like to know is how difficult it would be to run Pd on
> this machine at a very low level, with a very minimal OS (I know nothing
> about this kind of things). 700MHz is a lot I believe, considering that a
> lot of digital audio gear was available before this chips were affordable.
> I'm pretty sure that a standard digital multi-effects for instance doesn't
> need 700MHz at all.

There's a big difference between a dedicated chip or a microcontroller
with a single-task firmware, and a general purpose multitasking OS. A
2USD chip with a few lines of code can do nanosecond accurate timings,
where you need a real-time flavor and a lot of pain to achieve the same
with Linux on a PC. There's just two different kind of beasts.

I feel there's a lot of deception coming about the Rasberry Pi's
capabilities. But well, it's pretty good for the price.

Cheers,

--
Charlot