[PD] pointcloud in Gem (timbreID) and performance

Cyrille Henry ch at chnry.net
Sun Sep 2 19:15:38 CEST 2012

Le 02/09/12 18:45, Max a écrit :
> Am 02.09.2012 um 18:23 schrieb Cyrille Henry:
>> hello,
>>
>> the repeat/gemlist trick is very fast. it can be used to render lot's more point in real time.
>> (try pmpd example 57 : 2000 points are rendered at 50 fps on my computer with no problem)
>
> ok, good to know. by the way: the examples in pd-ext go only until 51,
yes, i always forget that pmpd in pd extended is very outdated.

> but i found the others (not there: drpichon.free.fr/pmpd/ google top result)
wow, I did forget this page still exist. i should remove it.

> but http://www.chnry.net/ch/?081-pmpd

this is only updated about once a year.
latest dev are only on pd svn.

>> i suspect that the bottleneck is the list parsing.
>
> i see.
>
>> one trick to speed this is to put the list in a table, and use tabread to access the data.
>
> to you know how tables compare to iemmatrix? the advantage of a matrice would be that i can get a whole row at once.

on my experience, i would say that list are slow, table are fast.
iemmatrix sends list, but process them in C, so i don't know.

cheers