[PD] patching readanysf~

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 09:35:37 CEST 2012

Hi Jack

On Mon, 2012-09-10 at 18:56 +0200, Jack wrote:
> > if you are on debian(>=wheezy)/ubuntu(>=oneiric) you could simply do
> > # apt-get install pd-readanysf
> >
> > all the patches are already applied, so no need to do that yourself.
>
> Done with :
> # apt-get install pd-readanysf
>
> Now i have readanysf~.pd_linux in :
> /usr/lib/pd/extra/readanysf~
> So all should be fine, but when i try to create [readanysf~], i get in
> the pd console :
> /usr/lib/pd/extra/readanysf~/readanysf~.pd_linux: /usr/lib/pd/extra/readanysf~/readanysf~.pd_linux: undefined symbol: bgav_select_track
> readanysf~
> ... couldn't create
>
> How can i solve this problem ?
>
> My configuration :
> Ubuntu 12.04 and pd 0.43.2

Sorry for the confusion that IOhannes and me may have caused.

Fact is that packages in Ubuntu 12.04 are compiled with a gcc version,
that seems picky about correct linking order and thus Ubuntu 12.04 ships
a pd-readanysf package with a binary, that doesn't link at all against
the libraries it is dependent on, because the Makefile doesn't have the
linking order correct. Thus the error:
undefined symbol: bgav_select_track
The fix for this is already applied to the git repository where the
Debian packages sources are hosted, but no new package version was
released since. Thus it is still broken in Ubuntu 12.04.

AFAIK, Debian wheezy does not suffer from this problem.

As a temporary work-around for the Ubuntu problem, I put a fixed version
into my PPA. You can install it by issuing the following steps in a
terminal:

$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:reduzierer/rdz-pd-extra+deps
$ sudo aptitude update
$ sudo aptitude install pd-readanysf

You may confirm that you're running the fixed version by doing:

$ aptitude show pd-readanysf | grep ^Version
which should show:
Version: 0.42-2~ppa0~precise

I hope this helped.
Roman