[PD] [OT] Portable webserver with static IP

Charles Goyard cg at fsck.fr
Wed Sep 12 12:32:55 CEST 2012

Pierre Massat wrote:
> Ok, what I really need is a name annoucer.
> Now, if avahi is installed on my RPi machine called "server_pi"  (that I
> would like to use as a server),

I'm not sure you can use _ in a hostname. Let's say "server-pi".

This would be "http://server-pi.local".

> or do I need to have something installed on the client machine
> first (like Bonjour if it's a windows PC)? I'd rather not install anything
> on the "client" machine.

Well, for (most) Linux and Apples, it should work. For Windows without
Bonjour, you can always tell them the IP (found with "ifconfig | grep -w
inet") and make a proposal about installing Linux :).