[PD] Browse/Search plugin update

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 1 05:18:34 CET 2012

Here's another update:
http://puredata.info/Members/jancsika/searchandbrowseplugin/view

* There are now links to browse doc folder and browse external libs at the top.
These two links should cover all the features of the <ctrl-b> browser other
than keyboard browsing.
* Another speedup.  In the search I'm able to do 255 recursive iterations with
no delay and on the 256th one call the next iteration with [after idle].  I really
don't understand how that remains deterministic but it looks like it does, and
it has the effect of speeding up the average search greatly.  So much so that
you barely even notice the progressbar before it disappears.  But if you click
on a result that opens a pd file it has to finish the search before it opens,
so the progressbar is handy in that situation as an indicator.
* there's still substantial overhead in parsing the description/keywords/etc.
for a result.  Not sure if I can do much to speed that up-- you'll notice if you
do a search that has a lot of results like "a" or "".
* I'm catching badly formed tcl lists and improper regex syntax in the search
text and giving the user a pretty and (hopefully helpful) error message and
link in the text widget instead of shooting a tk error dialog at him/her.  You'll
see it if you search for an open curly bracket, single quote, forward slash, etc.
* This ui is really at the edge of what tcl/tk can do-- I tried to get a bit fancier
in the recursive event loop and got a "Too Many Nested Evolutions" error
from Tk.

Anyway, after writing various hacks to get tooltips and hyperlinks in Tk, I really
hope someone ports Pd to a modern GUI toolkit where you get those things
for free!

-Jonathan