[PD] firewire is dead?

Max abonnements at revolwear.com
Tue Nov 20 19:18:29 CET 2012

Am 19.11.2012 um 09:45 schrieb Peter P. <p8rpp at aol.com>:
> * Max <abonnements at revolwear.com> [2012-11-19 09:05]:
>> I just got a RME Fireface UCX and will test it on linux soon. it has a USB class compliant mode, so it should run. The documentation says that the latency in the class compliant mode is not as good as with the proprietary driver. It would be interesting to have numbers here how much better exactly the rme driver is over the class compliant.
>> I guess i'd simply connect output to input and measure the delay? Someone must have done this before, Is there a standard method? A patch?
> Use jdelay by Fons Adriaensen.
> http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/
>
> There is also a patch:
> /usr/local/lib/pd/doc/7.stuff/tools/latency.pd

Had no chance to test the Fireface UCX on linux yet, but here the results for OS X 10.8.2:

Tested with Pure Data 0.43.4-extended-20121101
/doc/7.stuff/tools/latency.pd
Sampling rate 44100 Hz, delay 20 ms Blocksize 64, No callbacks

latency via USB, RME Driver
print: 0.00193273
print: 0
print: 0
print: 0.000630273
print: 0
print: 0.000632601
print: 0.00253273
print: 0.000634696
print: 0.00190642
print: 0.000636792
print: 0.00191317
print: 0
print: 0.00191946
print: 0
print: 0.00192621
print: 0
print: 0.00193273
print: 0
print: 0
print: 0.000630273

latency via USB, Class Compliant Mode
print: 24.3173
print: 24.3199
print: 24.3224
print: 24.3249
print: 24.3275
print: 24.33
print: 24.3326
print: 24.3352
print: 24.3377
print: 24.3403
print: 24.3429
print: 24.3454
print: 24.348
print: 24.3098
print: 24.3123

In the USB Class Compliant mode, when I change the delay in the Pd Audio properties to 40, the patch will output around 44.3. When set to 80 it will be 84.3 and so forth. Using the RME driver the latency shown in the patch always stays in the number range as seen above, no matter what delay is set in the Pd's Audio Properties. What's the explanation for this?

I have to send the Fireface back because the Firewire port is not working for me.