[PD] firewire is dead?

Max abonnements at revolwear.com
Mon Nov 26 15:25:25 CET 2012

I got a new Fireface UCX, updated drivers and did a fresh test (replacement for the first one which didn't work). It has three modes: Firewire, USB and USB in Class Compliant (Plug and Play) mode.
Interesting is, that Firewire is the worst when it comes to latency and Class Compliant is less than two milliseconds worse than the proprietary RME USB Driver. Bandwith might still be better in Firewire for multichannel setups, but I didn't test this. In my previous post on the topic the USB latency was wrong, it was a driver problem.

Tested with Pure Data 0.43.4-extended-20121101
/doc/7.stuff/tools/latency.pd
Sampling rate 44100 Hz, delay 20 ms Blocksize 64, No callbacks

OS X 10.8.2 Mac Book Pro 2 Ghz i7

latency of internal laptop soundcard ("Intel High Definition Audio") for reference:
print: 24.348
print: 24.3098
print: 24.3123
print: 24.3148
print: 24.3173
print: 24.3199
print: 24.3224
print: 24.3249
print: 24.3275
print: 24.33
print: 24.3326

latency Fireface UCX via Firewire, RME Driver
print: 27.8751
print: 27.8777
print: 27.8803
print: 27.8829
print: 27.8854
print: 27.8472
print: 27.8497
print: 27.8522
print: 27.8548
print: 27.8573
print: 27.8598
print: 27.8624
print: 27.8649
print: 27.8675
print: 27.87
print: 27.8726

latency of Fireface UCX via USB, RME Driver
print: 23.0024
print: 23.005
print: 23.0076
print: 23.0101
print: 22.9719
print: 22.9744
print: 22.9769
print: 22.9795
print: 22.982
print: 22.9845
print: 22.9871
print: 22.9896
print: 22.9922
print: 22.9947
print: 22.9973
print: 22.9998
print: 23.0024
print: 23.005

latency Fireface UCX via USB, Class Compliant Mode
print: 24.3173
print: 24.3199
print: 24.3224
print: 24.3249