[PD] mp3 (layerII) or .wav/.aif stereo player!

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 13:28:11 CET 2012

On 23/11/12 11:21, Björn Eriksson wrote:
> I think one of the reason one might have to be able to play mp3´s or
> ogg´s from inside a pd-patch can be that you´re working with some
> interactivity, thematic project for instance where one is sniffing the
> web for sounds.
>
> I regard mp3´s as usual as for instance jpg´s are on the web, speaking
> of some image analogy of compressed formats. I don´t like the
> licencing of mp3 though and would prefer ogg to be the main standard.
>
> Sometimes there aren´t time enough to do conversions on the fly to
> uncompressed formats before importing files onto pd.
>
> I can with other words imaging a number of situations which could call
> for a a playability of mp3 and oggs.

Obviously, there are cases where mp3 can be an option, but OP mentioned
exporting from logic. Of course withot further background it's hard to
tell, and there are many cases.

> Soundwise we all know wave and aiff sounds better, but I am a bit
> surprised this seems to be a so complicated and sensitive issue about
> having pd play a compressed sound file with some ease. Maybe this has
> been discussed over the years over and over,so forgive me if this
> already stated somewhere about these things.

It's not *that* coplicated really, and many options have been suggested,
guess the 'sensitive' thing is that OP ended his original message with:

"Anyways I'll be happy too if I can play an not compressed audio file
like an  .aiff or .wav but in stereo? how the f*ck I do that?"

Which is not probably not the best way to find concrete advice on a list :)

Lorenzo.