[PD] Pd-L2ork Features

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 14 21:37:46 CET 2012

>________________________________

BTW-- for simple patch snippets, what about making an ascii-art parser to paste
the art as actual object chain in a patch?

---Begin ASCII Snippet---
[880( #comment

[osc~ 440] #Some other comment

[*~ 0.1]

[dac~]

---End ASCII Snippet---

Above, it's possible to parse in tcl-- everything that's an object should be
enclosed in [], [(, and maybe [\ for atombox.  Maybe number-sign to
set off comments.

---Begin ASCII Snippet---

[f]x[+ 1]

    [send wherever]

---End ASCII Snippet---

"x" = 1) outlet0 of object to the left --> inlet0 of object to the right,
2) outlet0 of object to the right --> inlet 1 of object to the left.  Nice
quick-n-dirty shortcut for a counter.

Since Pd ascii art is monospaced we can see that the xpos of
the wire = xpos of [+ 1] above and xpos of [send wherever] below,
so connect outlet0 to inlet0.

---Begin ASCII Snippet---

[route 0 1 2 3 4]
|   |   |   |   |
[5( [6( [7( [8( [9(

---End ASCII Snippet---

For each wire from/to an object, increment the xlet number by one.  This
gets you ancillary wire connections for contiguous connections (i.e., you
can't skip an outlet).

If we close objects off by looking for [, (, or \, followed by a space or linebreak, this lets
us also use those characters inside objects like [expr (32+12)*4] without ambiguity.

Writing the above ascii is _way_ easier than doing the same in Pd-gui and connecting
all the wires.  In fact I'd rather click <ctrl-t> and enter that into a text widget than do that.

General solutions for crossed-wires, slanted wires, etc. are harder but I
think this would already be quite useful.

-Jonathan