[PD] Creating a line in Gem

Jack jack at rybn.org
Tue Dec 18 13:17:03 CET 2012

Le 18/12/2012 12:46, Alexandros Drymonitis a écrit :
> Hi all,
> I've been trying to render a line in Gem, so I'm wondering if it's
> best to use [curve] (which is actually a curve as it indicates), or
> [rectangle] with a very small x value, so that it looks like a line.
> My problem is that I want to give this line an angle, so I've been
> using [shearXY] for now. I also want to make the line grow from
> nothing to the full desired length, but with [rectangle] it will grow
> from the middle, so in order to make it grow from the starting point
> to the ending point, you have to give [rectangle] a continuous x,y offset.
> This way it's really hard to determine the starting and ending point
> of the line. So, If for example the x,y coordinates of the starting
> and ending point are random, then the angle and length will also be
> random and you'll have to manipulate three different objects
> simultaneously ([rectangle], [translate] and [shearXY]), and I'm not
> sure if I can find the formula for all these calculations.
> Is there an easier technique for this?

Hello,

If you need a segment starting from (Xa, Ya, Za) and ending to (Xb, Yb,
Zb), then use [curve 2] and set coordinates with two lists of three
elements.
With this solution, you needn't [rotateXYZ] or [shearXY] objects and can
make your segment growing from nothing to the desired length.
Have a look at [curve] object.
++

Jack