[PD] Webcam recommendations (linux/osx)

Ryan Smith bigryeguy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 18:05:47 CET 2012

I've had good success with the playstation eye cameras. They've had
kernel support in linux for a while, are easy to find, work well in
low light, and have lots of resolution and frame rate options. In my
opinion, for the price, you'll have a hard time finding something as
good. Focus and zoom isn't super flexible, but there is some room to
work. The lens rotates and essentially has two settings, one a closer
zoomed tight field of view, and a second wider view. I've used two at
the same time. I've tried 3 playstation eye cams at the same time and
some combos using a kinect as a video source too but I've never
managed to get more than two usb video devices working at the same
time. YMMV I've got a couple of patches up on my github where I use
two of the playstation eye cams at the same time.
https://github.com/goldfish