[PD] mastering to vinyl live w/ pd

Ed Kelly morph_2016 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 23 01:49:30 CET 2012

Hey Mark,

RIAA - the original RIAA curve is the one, forget the variants, especially the IEC variety.
It's a high-frequency pre-emphasis filter that overcomes the inherent surface noise of vinyl by boosting the HF, and reducing the. bass so that the needle doesn't jump out of the groove.
Also, the curve you most commonly see is the reproduction (de-emphasis) curve (the one which slopes downwards) - this is irrelevant, since anything you play the vinyl back on will have this frequency response built-in. The recording curve is the one which matters -  I think it should not be too hard to implement the original equation in C, or even using exp~ or fexp~ - just to send it to the lathe.

The problem is that the mechanical nature of vinyl means that, a standard 6dB/octave single-pole highpass filter won't work, because the amplification needed to restore the bass would be too great. It's a sort of "kinked" highpass filter. See this article: http://www.stereophile.com/features/cut_and_thrust_riaa_lp_equalization

Also, the mix must be mono compatible. This mostly means keeping bass frequencies in-phase and trying to make everything below about 220Hz mono.

Metastudio 4. I call that a "lost" metastudio, because I variously did and didn't distribute (leak) it on a personal basis (I was slack/busy, I had kids, you know...)

Metastudio 5 on the other hand, is currently being worked on. New synthesis units based on analogue wavefolding techniques, the tracker sequencer with cut and paste, and the quadtracker - a monster 4-channel tracker style sequencer. I need to write a whole load of help files this time also, and some more explicative performance patches...early 2013

Cheers,
Ed

Gemnotes-0.2: Live music notation for Pure Data, now with dynamics!
http://sharktracks.co.uk/