[PD] [PD-announce] pd 0.44-0 test 1 released

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 20:14:10 CET 2012

On Die, 2012-12-25 at 13:00 -0800, Miller Puckette wrote:
> Hi all -
> I'm afraid to 'fix' this riht now, but will look at it at least.  Alternatively
> I could add a message to pd to restort DSP without stopping/starting the
> audio I/O, which I'm hoping will at least reduce the need to start/stop
> SDP all the time.
>
> The change that caused this problem is that I fixed Pd not to have the audio
> system open whern DSP isn't running so that, on APIs in which audio is exclusive
> (e.g., ALSA) you can turn DSP off in Pd and go off and use another device
> with Pd remining open.

The problem arises when there is one message trying to control many
different tasks:
 * switch DSP computing on/off (save CPU time)
 * free/occupy the audio back-end (save soundcard time)
 * mute/unmute Pd (save ears)
 * force recompilation of the DSP graph

> An alternative would be to have Pd automatically close audio devices on ALSA,
> OSS, and MMIO but always keep it open when using jack.  But then what about
> portaudio?  I somply don't know the correct way to deal with this.

I'd say it's preferable if Pd's behavior is independent from the
back-end currently in use. Rather, I suggest to use different messages
for different tasks. IMHO, 'dsp 0' really should only turn computation
of tilde-objects off as this is what it means and what one expects. What
about a new message to pd 'card 0|1' to free devices which would work
completely independently from 'dsp 0|1'? This would allow to record a
signal to a soundfile without occupying the soundcard, for instance.

Roman