[PD] more fun with translations

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 29 00:07:53 CET 2012

----- Original Message -----

None of the GF help patches have collisions between the example patch
and text.  I'm not sure if it's automatic or if you have to click drag the first
text-heading below the patch, but either way it behaves and there are no
collisions in any of matju's docs that I've seen:

http://gridflow.ca/help/

> Another solution would be to have a text/comment field that saves carriage
> returns and paragraph breaks.  Then a whole column of text could be in a
> single object, and then there would just need to be room at the bottom to
> accomodate different lengths of texts, depending on the language.

You can't criticize GF automated help patches for requiring the user to
do a single click-drag to pull the first heading below the example patch (if they
indeed do require that-- I'll have to check), and
then favor a system that not only requires the author to click drag to increase
patch height but also guess how much extra room they must leave for other
systems they don't use where the vertical space between lines may be
slightly larger than the system they are using.

AFAICT, GF help patches measure the actual space used by the comments
so that even if you save a patch on system X, when someone opens it on
system Y it will shift comments down if they need extra space in order to
avoid overlapping.

-Jonathan