[PD] GUI toolkits and custom GUIs WAS: Integra Live 1.5 released

Bill Gribble grib at billgribble.com
Sat Jan 26 01:55:03 CET 2013

On Fri, 2013-01-25 at 15:21 -0800, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> > From: Bill Gribble <grib at billgribble.com>
> > I am working on a pd-clone intended to explore a lot of the topics in this
> > thread.  It's not fully baked yet -- the biggest working patch is a biquad
> > filter designer with pole-zero and freq response plotting -- but I'm
> > particularly excited about the approach to namespacing and scope management,
> > which works a lot like hc describes.  Patches have a set of scopes which can be
> > mapped onto subpatches (represented as layers, not separate windows).  Name
> > resolution in send/receive elements works like you would want it to.
>
> How does scope work for abstractions?

Well, every object in a patch has a name.  To find that object, the tree
of patches and scopes is crawled upward from the site of the lookup. For
example, the (equivalent of) [s "foo"] first looks in the scope of the
[s], then the patch-global scope of the containing patch, then in the
application global scope for the name "foo".

Dotted notation can drill down, so [s "foo.bar"] would try to find an
object named "foo", then find "bar" in its patch-global scope (or an
object named "bar" within a scope named "foo" in the current patch).

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Bill Gribble