[PD] Can I run scripts with [shell]?

Jack jack at rybn.org
Tue Jan 29 12:50:36 CET 2013

Le 29/01/2013 11:59, Alexandros Drymonitis a ?crit :
> I don't really understand the meaning of 'context' (not the actual word, but the way you're using
it)..how are these contexts accessible? How are commands being executed
when sent to the same object?

<mailto:zmoelnig at iem.at>> wrote:

> On 2013-01-29 11:23, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:
> > I checked the help patch of [shell], but if I send a cd command
> > for example, I don't think that something really happens. I
> > actually would like to run a script from within Pd, but what I
> > understand is that this can't be really done, is it so? Can anyone
> > demonstrate something like this?
>
> that's exactly the point: with [shell] you _should_ run scripts.
>
> each command you send to [shell] will open a new "context".
>
> so if you send it a "cd ..", it will create a new context (in your
> working directory, lets call it ${WD}), move one directory up (so we
> are now in ${WD}/.., report any output (not very much in this case),
> and close the context.
> if you then send it a "pwd", it will create a new context (in your
> working directory ${WD}), print the PWD and close the context.
>
> obviously your "cd.." did not affect "pwd", as they have been executed
> in different contexts.
>
> in order to do anything more complex, you have to create a
> script-file, and run this via [shell].
> e.g.
> <snip>
> #!/bin/sh
> cd ..
> pwd
> </snip>
>
> and run "myscript.sh" via [shell] should give you ${WD}/..
>
> fgamsdr
> IOhannes

Hello,

By 'context', it is as if you start each time from the beginning (same
'initialization').
You see that when you open a new shell by creating a new terminal window :
1) open new terminal window
2) enter 'cd ..' then return
3) enter 'pwd' then return
4) close terminal window
5) open new terminal window
6) enter 'pwd' then return

As you can see the values returned by pwd are not the same because, each
time you open a terminal window, you open a new shell.
It is the same under Pd and the object [shell], each time you send a
message to [shell], each time you open a new shell.
That's why you need a script if you need to execute a sequence of
several commands.
++

Jack