[PD] [PD-announce] Pd-extended 0.43.4 released!

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Jan 30 22:40:27 CET 2013

On 01/30/2013 04:09 PM, Cyrille Henry wrote:

> Le 30/01/2013 12:46, Nicolas Montgermont a écrit :
>
>> - possibility to choose between different config file.
> ds le cas generique, j'ai pas de solution, mais si c'est juste les path et les
> lib a charger, alors je pense que le mieux serait de ne rien declarer ds les
> prfs de pd.
> mais d'utiliser declare pour tout les patch (comme c'est fait ds tout les
> autres langguages de programation).
> on peux envisager d'ouvrir des model qui correspondent a diferentes configs
> qui sont en fait des patchs contenant juste les bon declare.
>
> ca te semble pas pertinent?

A quick internet translations makes me think that I agree with what cyrille is
saying.  The preferences shouldn't be used for loading libraries, as they have
been in pd and especially Pd-extended for a long time.  Pd-extended no longer
lets you set libraries to load from the preferences, this is one step to get
us on the right direction.  I've been thinking about other things as well,
here's how I'm thinking:

* new standard library that is larger and more consistent than what's in
vanilla, things like all math and logic objects both message and signal
included, rather than needed to load a library (i.e. zexy) for some of them.
It would prioritize correctness and consistency over backwards compatibility.

* no libraries but the standard library loaded by default.

* the possibility to load "distro profiles" for compatibility with Pd-vanilla
and Pd-extended

* all of Pd-vanilla's objects as a separate 'vanilla' library.