[PD] absolute vs relative filepath on oggread~

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Thu Jan 31 11:31:05 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 11:18:00AM +0100, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> > Current working directory not set
> >

> but there is _always_ a current working directory. even if your file
> has not beed saved.

You are right. I am confusing two things worth distinguishing,
the current working directory and the path to the saved file.
Analogously to other environments, C/Perl/Python etc, the
distinction is something like that between the variables

CWD = Initially the directory from which the application
      was launched, but can change during an invokation

FILE = a path belonging to an asset of application, the path
       to a script or source module.

I'm not sure the latter exists in Pd, or if it would even be helpful
if it did.

> probably adding this simple message (at a more informational loglevel
> than the "file not found" error) would help more:
> "current working directory is ..." (substitute "..." with the real
> working directory)

Yes. The console could even prepend a path like Bash $PS, although
many would be annoyed by that where the path grows long.

Just thinking aloud at this stage.

Andy