[PD] file format for GEM

Thomas Mayer thomas at residuum.org
Mon Feb 4 21:38:11 CET 2013

On 04.02.2013 16:55, IOhannes zmölnig wrote:
> On 02/03/2013 10:54 PM, Thomas Mayer wrote:
>> Pd will only use one core, and one core for the GUI. There are ways to
>> distribute the load over several cores, e.g. [pd~] or use several
>> instances of Pd that communicate with each others:
>
> Pd will use multiple threads for a few specific tasks, like streaming
> soundfiles from disk (with [readsf~]).

I just wanted to state, that you cannot distribute arbitrary tasks in Pd
to several threads, and therefore CPU cores without a) stating it
explicitely via [pd~] (or [netsend]/[netreceive] or any other way of
inter-instance communication), or b) using externals that support threading.

> Gem will also try to utilize multiple threads for special tasks as well,
> like image acquisition.

Best regards,
Thomas
--
"Ich komme aus dem Staunen nicht heraus."
"Dann bleib halt drin, du Seppel"