[PD] pd-l2ork feedback

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Wed Feb 27 03:48:42 CET 2013

On 02/26/2013 09:07 PM, András Murányi wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 12:45 AM, Ivica Bukvic <ico at vt.edu
> <mailto:ico at vt.edu>> wrote:
>
>     This may be because you didn't hide gop titles, in which case
>     pd-l2ork resizes gop size to match the text width.
>
> Yes this is indeed the case. I noticed, however, that there was no
> title to be displayed, meaning that with "hide GOP title" unchecked,
> the rectangle was bigger but there was no title (see attachment).
> And it shows the frame when it's embedded in another GOP.

AFAIK embedded GOP objects have always had frames. This is why all
iemguis also have frames/inlets/outlets even when embedded inside GOP. I
think your background made them hard to distinguish. I could be wrong,
though, but I always remember seeing those.

As for the text not being displayed, can you send me the slider
abstraction? It could be that since you've originally saved the
abstraction inside regular pd that it did not get adjusted completely to
conform to pd-l2ork's way of dealing with these. Try manually
readjusting the GOP size and re-save it. It should either prevent you
from resizing it below the text size or do it just fine provided you've
disabled the showing of text. As for text not showing in a subpatcher
even though it should, this is something I should investigate.

>     Regarding slow redraw, can you try latest version? I fixed one
>     major inefficiency.
>
> I'll try it as soon as I get to it. I noticed meanwhile that during
> the hangup, this error is thrown to the command line a few times:
> tcl/tk error: unknown encoding "yahoo"
This likely refers to text encoding if you use something
unusual/setup-specific.

HTH

> András
>
>     On Feb 26, 2013 6:22 PM, "András Murányi" <muranyia at gmail.com
>     <mailto:muranyia at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         Thanks for the reply.
>         The hangup is literally 5 minutes, CPU is maxed out most of
>         the time. The undo takes 5 seconds, again literally.
>         It doesn't occur in pd-extended.
>
>             Nested gop subpatches should show their outlines and xlets
>             (just like number2 or toggle does as well), shouldn’t they?
>

>         Well, traditionally they don't and I think they should not.
>         This would be consistent behavior if the borders of every
>         element in the outer GOP subpatch would be visible. *However,
>         I was wrong and actually this is not what's happening.*
>         Rather, it seems that some GOP subpatches have the wrong size,
>         and then they also show thru nested GOPs. See the attached
>         screenshot: at the top left corder of the open subpatch, there
>         are two GOP subpatches ("Cut" and "Res"; their guts are shown
>         in the open subpatch window), each wider than they should be.
>         The big gray rectangle at the bottom of the image is a large
>         GOP subpatch itself, and the same nested GOP shows thru it. I
>         couldn't reproduce this symptom from scratch.
>
>         András
>

>         On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:37 PM, Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico at vt.edu
>         <mailto:ico at vt.edu>> wrote:
>
>             One clarification now that I read your report more
>             carefully. Mknob makes abstraction movement slower because
>             this is the old/non-accelerated pd way of moving things.
>             The new pd-l2ork model falls back on that when at least
>             one object in the abstraction does not support accelerated
>             moving. Once I get to fixing the mknob to support
>             accelerated displace, this will be fixed. I am still
>             surprised to hear this is taking 5 minutes, though. Is
>             this an exaggeration or truly 5 minutes?
>
>             Also, if you are undoing objects that are non-accelerated
>             or complex abstractions, you are running into same
>             problems because you are moving and redrawing
>             non-accelerated way...
>
>             Is the same slowness perceived on regular pd when moving
>             the said abstraction?
>

>             On 02/22/2013 03:34 PM, András Murányi wrote:
>>             So, I've played around with the last git, here are some
>>             things I've noticed:
>>             - miXed/toxy is not in pd-l2ork and it's perfectly alrite
>>             because some kinds of [widget] work while others not.
>>             - [flatgui/popup] is installed by default but it throws
>>             an error when clicked on: Invalid command name
>>             "pdtk_canvas_mouse".
>>             - moving a simple GOP abstraction with a single [mknob]
>>             in it takes like 5 minutes (!) on a 2.4GHz dual core when
>>             the patch is big. It's fast however when the patch is
>>             simple. Undoing the movement is not instant but it is
>>             quick (~5sec).
>>             - nested GOP subpatches show off their outlines and xlets.
>>
>>             --
>>             Murányi András

Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A
Composition, Music Technology
Director, DISIS Interactive Sound & Intermedia Studio
Director, L2Ork Linux Laptop Orchestra
Head, ICAT IMPACT Studio
Virginia Tech
Department of Music