[PD] Fwd: can't edit the symbol field

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 08:45:20 CEST 2013

Hi Scott

On Mon, 2013-04-01 at 20:12 +0800, Scott Vanya wrote:
> I have pd-extended (Pd-0.42.5-extended-ubuntu-lucid-i386.deb) installed
> am running Puppy Linux and opened the pd script from GISS.tv,

I have no idea what Pd script (a.k.a patch) you're talking about. Please
be more specific. Is there a direct link?

> but for
> some reason can't enter text in the mountpoint, server etc. fields.
> Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? (and even more so what I can do to
> enter values in thes fields?)

When you want to type something into a symbol box, you need to click on
the box and simply start typing. It will catch the the text, although
there is no indication (like a blinking cursor or similar) that it
will.

I encounter this problem that a lot with people trying Pd for the first
time. The behavior of the symbol box is certainly not what people are
used to. One could even argue it is bad UI design.

Does that already help or does your problem persist? If so, please give
some more details.

Roman