[PD] troubles killing a pd instance with shell object

Marco Donnarumma devel at thesaddj.com
Sat Apr 13 17:39:17 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I'm having some troubles with two pd instances and [shell].

I launch a patch with the first Pd instance from the terminal. Here, i use
[shell] to create a new patch and open it with a second Pd instance.

when the new patch is loaded, it sends a [quit( message to [noquit] to the
first pd-instance patch, via OSC, in order to kill it.

everything works fine until the first instance receive the OSC message. At
this point, the pd process is killed but the GUI freezes on the screen, and
the terminal freezes too.

If I launch the first Pd instance from the terminal with '&', and then run
the script through
 the same terminal, it works fine.

this below is the script. nothing fancy.

any idea why the process doesn't work?

thanksss!

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
#!/bin/bash

NEWPATCH=$1
cp /usr/share/Xth-Sense/Xth-Sense.pd $HOME/Desktop/$NEWPATCH.pd;
sleep 2;
pdextended -alsa $HOME/Desktop/$NEWPATCH.pd;
exit

--
Marco Donnarumma
New Media + Sonic Arts Practitioner, Performer, Teacher, Director.