[PD] troubles killing a pd instance with shell object

fls at rendera.com.br fls at rendera.com.br
Sun Apr 14 11:27:58 CEST 2013

Hi Marco,

I read the source code of this external* and it works with a fork. It
means that we have a parent process, your first PD instance, and a child
process, the shell that created your second PD instance. AFAIK it is not
possible to kill the parent process and keep the child running. The child
is the shell and your second PD instance depends on this process to run.
It's possible to run a child without a parent but [shell] should use a
nohup or something like that. Since this external doesn't seem to have it
implemented, I don't think that it will be possible.

Schiavoni

P.S.: Reading the source code I discovered that this object accept a bang
message that prints "bang". It also has an unused static variable
"shell_pid"...

*
http://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pure-data/trunk/externals/ggee/control/shell.c