[PD] Missing objects in Pd-Extended Intel OSX?

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Apr 23 09:01:29 CEST 2013

On 04/23/2013 02:26, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> I cannot figure out where the code is,

externals/loaders/hexloader/

> but I'm assuming there is a loop
> that goes through each path in search of $object_name.$whatever to
> load the setup routine, and then goes through each path for
> $object_name.{pd, max} for loading abstractions.

yes kind of.

> Is this the case?  If so why not say for each directory, check if there
> is a $directory-meta.pd, and if there is parse it to find a comment in the
> form of:
> ALIAS normal_characters_name weird_characters_name1 weird_characters_name2 etc.

sounds like a good idea, though....

> Then if $object_name matches any of the atoms that follow ALIAS, look for any files inside
> $directory that match any of the aliases.  If you find a match, follow the current loading logic
> (i.e., look for $objectname_setup, etc.).  This has the benefit that the external/abstraction
> developer doesn't have to care about what order to put the atoms after ALIAS, only that
> one of the atoms uses "normal" characters that correspond to the characters of the filename
> (minus the file extension) that contains the class/abstraction.

i'm pretty sure there is a catch somewhere when it comes to loading
abstractions.

> Finally, if there was a match, and there was a $normal_characters_name_setup that
> was executed without error, then Pd should automatically do a "class_addcreator" for
> each of the remaining aliases.

not sure whether this should be handled automatically or explicitely
within an external.

> I suppose its easier to require $1 of the "ALIAS" comment to be normal_characters_name.
> I think it's better for the external/abstraction author if it can be an unordered list, but honestly
> anything is better than the current hexloader complexity.

what's that "complexity"? having to have to look up some characters in
an ascii table?

> If someone can explain to me where the loop is in the source code where Pd looks for
> binaries/abstractions, I'll try to code it myself.

just check the various loaders in externals/loaders/

gmdrs
IOhannes